Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Day in D.C. at Air & Space and American Indian Museums (Road Trip 2014)



Road Trip 2014

Day 5: Washington D.C.
National Air & Space Museum
National Museum of the American Indian

My dad and I took my three youngest kids, my niece, and her boyfriend down to D.C. on the Metro for the day.  I'll let the pictures tell the story, though it is only a small sampling of everything we saw!  Great day!

Click the museum titles to explore more.


I had sort of a hard time connecting with the exhibits here.  I am not a technological person.  The ones I liked most were pieces I could relate to more familiar people from American history, like Amelia Earhart and Charles Lindbergh.


Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis
- first non-stop flight from New York to Paris

Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Vega -
first solo transatlantic flight by a woman
and first non-stop flight across USA by a woman 

German war plane
Apollo 2 command module Columbia -
first manned lunar landing mission

Apollo Lunar Module #2

Skylab
First USA space station
1973-1979

Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian

I definitely fit in better here than at Air & Space.  I love people, history, and art.  I would have enjoyed more time here all by myself.  I also would have loved an extended solo trip to the National Gallery of Art.  Maybe next time...


Buffalo Dance II statue
by George Rivera

Part of a another sculpture -
I wish I'd gotten the title and artist!

More detail

Fur coat

Blanket
Aymara Totora-Reed boat
from Bolivia or Peru
Greater Nicoya vessel from Costa Rica
AD 400-1350
  
Ulua River Tripod vessel
from Honduras
850-959 AD

Playing the huge drum
in the activity center

Beautiful pillow in the gift shop,
but I'm not spending $80!

Instead, I bought
matching bead bracelets
for my youngest daughter
and I

View of the Capitol from the window

Other posts in my Road Trip 2014 series:

Other posts featuring museums in Washington, D.C.


Having a blast!

Virginia Knowles
www.VirginiaKnowles.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails